Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Christmas Longing

A Christmas Longing
By Joni Eareckson Tada

This has to be my favorite book to read at Christmas. I have had it for many years and I think that I have given it as a gift to quite a few friends. I started reading it again today and remembered how much I love it. I want to quote from the story called" Create Your Christmas Spirit".

Joni begins by asking us to start the season by creating the Christmas Spirit by "adoring, worshiping, thinking, and meditating on all that the birth of the Lord Jesus means to you."
"Maybe that's why God puts those wistful longings in our hearts this time of year. He wants us to find the answer to those longings in the celebration of Jesus. He wants us to define that nostalgia as nothing more than a deep human desire to come home and adore His Son."

Do you have those longings, too? Longings for the perfect Christmas, for peace, for something that you just can't put a finger on. I do- and I try to fulfill it with so many other things. Christmas seems to make it harder because we are so busy deorating, buying and wrapping gifts, getting out our Christmas cards, going to parties, cooking and baking... The list goes on and on. When do we have the time to be "adoring, worshiping, thinking and meditating on all that the birth of our Lord Jesus means" to us?

Here is another quote that I read this morning -

"Modern civilization is so complex as to make the devotional life all but impossible. It wears us out by multiplying distractions and beats us down by destroying our solitude, where otherwise we might drink and renew our strength before going out to face the world again." - A.W. Tozer

I pray that this Christmas season that we will take time to adore our Savior and to let Him be the answer to our Christmas longings.


1 comment: