Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Dad

Caught a nice one!
Funny guys!

In some ways it doesn't seem like 5 years ago that Dad died but in many ways it seems like it has been forever. I didn't think it would be that hard for me to write about today but it is harder than I thought.

Burke will never know him and I hope that Aaron and Adam will remember all the wonderful times they had growing up around him. He had infinite patience with them - taking Aaron to every bathroom in every place they went, teaching them to fish when the rest of us were too busy and wanted to be in the stream, being goofy a lot of the time.

I know that he loved me beyond all reason. I was Daddy's girl and he taught me to fish, let me do a lot of things I probably shouldn't, helped Mom spoil me to death and was always proud of me.

When I was away at Young Life's Summer Place for the summer, he sent me a funny card every day.

When I would cook something that didn't turn out like it was supposed to I could always count on him to eat it no matter what.

He would do anything for me, Mark and the boys. He loved having Aaron and Adam around and spent so much time doing things with them and for them.

Dad, you were my biggest cheerleader and fan and I always knew it. What a love a father had for his daughter. I miss you still.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Evette,
    I didn't know this was the date. I remember him dearly and I know he loved you (and all the Gentrys) so much.
    Lots of love,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The anniversary date of a parent that has died is sometimes hard. I know that I choose to remember the good things about my mom and try to pass these on to our kids. It seems like you are doing the same. Good girl!

    The beginning of next week works for me. If the weather is good, what does Monday or Tuesday look like for you?

    ReplyDelete